Coda File System

Re: Coda files owner and access bits

From: lou <lou_at_0xffff.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:41:30 +0100
In some email I received from Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se> on Tue, 8 Apr 2003
16:46:12 +0200 (MET DST), wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, lou wrote:
>
> > volume is not mounted onto /coda, mine is mounted on /test%server_addr, but
> > if i create a sym link from test%server_addr to /coda it works,
> > and i wonder, is this value hardcoded or can be fixed with changing something
>
> Hello lou,
>
> Yes, it is hardcoded and in my very humble opinion it is the only right
> way to go, namely it is the only way to ensure that coda files are
> available on all machines (even not administered by *you* or *me*) via the
> same paths.

I dont agree, hardcoding a value(const) is totally un-desirable IMHO.
But sometimes it's acceptable. (considering how important it's)

> Mount "via fstab" == "per host" is a certain way to create management
> nightmares when a system becomes big.

Agree whit that, i personally hate NFS/sfs/PVFS/blahblah, no redundancy :)

> Fortunately, AFS, DFS and Coda have a lot more convenient mechanism called
> mountpoints, not bound to any given host. On the other side, as we must
> begin filesearch from "/" that is local to each host, we should use a
> fixed name for the junction to the global filetree, otherwise the whole
> global filetree ceases to be global, as soon as we'd move its root on one
> host...

What do you mean by global filetree? Coda Filetree or local fs filetree?

my intentions are different (as i pointed out some time ago), it's not meant to be easy
for the admin, because an application is going to administrate the data on the volumes,
the app is designed to allow as less human ineraction as possible.

But yes, i understand what you mean about the convenient mountpounts mechanism, and yes,
you're right.

> I suppose that your intention to mount Coda tree at a non-standard
> location is not really crucial for any practical task.

depends, i'm sure most of us have reasons to put /b in /a/b rather than b in /c/b.

Anyway i got the drift! Thanks for the input Ivan.

cheers,
-lou

--

Lou Kamenov	AEYE R&D 	lou.kamenov_at_aeye.net
FreeBSD BGUG	http://www.freebsd-bg.org	lou@FreeBSD-bg.org