Coda File System

Re: venus randomly dies...

From: Lionix <wayne-cci_at_noos.fr>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:20:02 +0200
Steve Simitzis wrote:

> at 11am every morning, our site puts up fresh content. typically, our
> users will rush to go to check it out as soon as it comes out. since
> no one has actually viewed the content, it's likely that the files will
> not be in venus's cache at 11am. so venus suddenly has to handle this
> rush, plus all the usual file requests it has to deal with.
>
> i'm not sure if this is a different case of the same problem, or just
> the same exact problem. either way, i thought this problem report
> would be helpful. unlike the updatedb fix, we can't disable releasing
> new content. :)

If you don't see ant Buffer overflow trouble in log it's not a trouble
of cache size...
And we could guess it's the same style of trouble updadb wake up....

Have you tried to force the client to wake up before the burst  ????
Perhaps something like

#!/bin/sh
cfs strong
cd /coda
ls -lR
echo "=== lets hope :o)"

in you cron....and improve the script ( find / grep /....) to detect if
your new content is in venus cache.
Hope it would help !

As i'm here i got a question about $>cfs strong....
As the command returns no message, nothings apear in venus.log , and i
don't see any traffic to the serveur ( any adjusting stuff )....

How could I know i'm in a strong state ?

Moreover $>cfs bw 10000000
always return :
Bogus or missing opcode: type "cfs help" for list

Damned !!! I rtfm... and syntax seems good !!! :-P

Kaufmann Lionel