Coda File System

Re: vcrcommon.h doesn't get rebuilt by debian/rules build

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 10:29:24 +0900

    sjt> I suspect this is because somehow debian/rules doesn't do
    sjt> "make all" (all depends on $(RPCHEADERS) which contains
    sjt> vcrcommon.h), but don't understand the Makefiles well enough
    sjt> to be sure.

I still don't know the full story, but it seems to me now that what
happened was that "debian/rules clean" was getting hosed by a broken
configure from the automake lossage, so I was using "make clean".
This didn't remove Debian's build stamps, so debian/rules thought
there was nothing to do, and it was invoking *-install only, not all.
It appeared that it was building things because *-install depends on
getting the binary built.  However, it would for some reason not
generate vcrcommon.h, probably because it's not associated with a .o.

Once I got the build infrastructure in a consistent state, I could use
debian/rules clean, debian/rules build now invokes "make all" during the
build stage, and things seem to be working.

Maybe the install targets should depend on all?