Coda File System

Realm access

From: Samir Patel <samir_at_eden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
Hey all,

I'm not sure if the question I have has been previously addressed, or
has been addressed in documentation, but I couldn't find an answer
anywhere.

Now that Coda uses realms, it's very easy to try connecting to various
hostnames to see if they run coda (just have to type cd
/coda/<servername> ).  Is there anyway to limit access to a Coda realm
to a predefined set of hosts?  I'm pretty sure this sort of thing can
be done with relative ease using ipchains/iptables in Linux (and other
similar firewalls), but does Coda have any sort of built-in support
for this sort of thing?  (I've seem some references to a
/vice/db/hosts file, but Coda 6 doesn't install a template and I'm not
really sure what this file is meant for).

Assuming someone out there has addressed this sort of security issue,
can you explain what you did?  If no one has addressed this issue, or
if the issue is not really an issue... can someone explain?

Thanks!

Samir