Coda File System

Re: Realm access

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:03:06 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello Samir,

> Now that Coda uses realms, it's very easy to try connecting to various
> hostnames to see if they run coda (just have to type cd
> /coda/<servername> ).  Is there anyway to limit access to a Coda realm
> to a predefined set of hosts?

Coda has been developed among other things to offer better access control
methods, based on the user authenticity. Just use acls.
(even root processes on hosts can have their own accounts, of course)

If you are going to conceal the fact that the servers are running Coda,
or really have reasons to limit the access by hosts not by accounts,
then you may have to set up firewalls or packet filtering, but it is
another story, imho.

Coda's design is very different from NFS or alike, and I am a bit
afraid you are looking in a wrong direction.

Feel free to explain the reasons that make you feel IP-number-based
restrictions are necessary for you.

My 2c,
--
Ivan