Coda File System

Re: Gnucash lock problem on CODA

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 02:14:07 -0400
On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 01:11:51AM -0400, Anocha Yimsiriwattana wrote:
> I still have a small problem running GnuCash on CODA.  When I try to open a
> GnuCash database file on CODA filesystem, GnuCash reports that it can not get
> a lock!  Here is the actual message,

Coda doesn't really have any support for file locks, although some
locking might work between processes on the same machine. There are
hundreds of way that applications try to implement locking, varying
from using flock or fcntl(F_SETLK), to opening a temporary file with
O_EXCL or by creating a unique filename and then attempting to link it
to a common name. What your application uses can really only be
discovered by tracing the system calls it makes (strace or ktrace).

> However, I just ignore it by click on "Open Anyway", and run GnuCash on Coda
> without any other problems.
>
> When I look at the look file closely, I realized that the attributes of the
> lock file is set to be none, i.e. the ls -l shows that
>
> ----------    2 yano     yano            0 Jun 23 00:48 account.LCK
>
> Moreover, the filesize is 0 byte!  So I think this might be the problem.  Do
> you guys have any idea to solve the problem?  Please let me know.  Thanks.

It is supposed to be empty, are you sure some previous run of GnuCash
didn't crash?

    http://www.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/backup1.html