Coda File System

Re: Tokens, realms, browsing, hoarding: what's going on here?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 12:42:22 -0400
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:45:49PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> urk.  I went back to Jan's "Short Coda realms primer" and found this:
>
>     jh> Finally we try to connect to the found servers, and if the
>     jh> connection setup succeeds an entry for the newly discovered
>     jh> realm is dynamically created in the /coda directory.
>
> Damn.  This means that you _must_ be connected to start Coda, then go
> disconnected without ever shutting venus down, right?  That would be
> consistent with the fact that if I start venus, bring the network up,
> do "ls /coda/realm", and then shut the network down, I have no
> problems.  (I have this vague impression that "ls /coda/realm" may not
> even be necessary if I gave it a few seconds, maybe the hoard daemon
> is pinging the server?)

Yeah, we really need a more persistent DNS cache in venus (or loosen the
dependency on DNS lookups). You can possibly work around this by having
the names of your servers in /etc/hosts so that DNS lookup succeed even
when disconnected. I thought that that pretty much used to be a
requirement and looking at my laptop I have those entries there.

On the other hand, I hardly ever shut down my laptop (suspend is able to
keep it alive for a day or two) so I probably never really get in the
situation that I restart venus while disconnected.