Coda File System

Re: Tokens, realms, browsing, hoarding: what's going on here?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 12:58:31 +0900

    Jan> You can possibly work around this by having the names of your
    Jan> servers in /etc/hosts so that DNS lookup succeed even when
    Jan> disconnected.

Already thought of that, not good enough.  Apparently an actual Coda
connection to the server is required.  If you go "cfs disconnect; ls
/coda" before accessing /coda in any way, you get the dangling
symlink.  "cfs resconnect; cfs checkservers; ls /coda" -> Bingo!

    Jan> I probably never really get in the situation that I restart
    Jan> venus while disconnected.

Someday your battery is going to go wonky (that's why I prefer to shut
down, and one of Coda's NetBSD buddies is in that situation too IIRC).
Fix it now, for your own good.  ;-)