Coda File System

Re: Released Coda 6.0.3 (and RPC2 1.20)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_math.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:29:28 +0200 (MEST)
Hello Jan,

thanks for the great news!

A question about the _future_ changes:

> === soon to be merged in CVS, this is NOT in 6.0.3! ===

>     Coda servers use a vnode lookup table that is causing some 'growing
>     pains' for larger servers. The re-allocation of such a table would
>     fail when we reached around 100k files per volume. These tables will
>     be replaced by a hash table which with moderate success allowed us
>     to store about a million files in a single volume. This does require
>     some incompatible RVM changes to the vnode structure.
>
>     As we're going to be breaking the vnode structure anyways, we will
>     take the opportunity to move the per file SHA1 checksum into RVM.
>     This should significantly reduce server CPU usage when checksums
>     are enabled.

Have you some ideas about the migration path for upgrades to that level?
It looks like it will not be possible to use old rvm contents with the new
server binaries, right?
Will it be possible to dump-and-load rvm between the old and the new
format? Alternatively dump-reinit-restore for all volumes?

It soon can become an issue for those who want the bleeding edge features,
but have already got some production data on Coda.

Best regards,
--
Ivan