Coda File System

Re: ip address instead of hostname

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:27:00 -0400
On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 02:28:57PM +0100, josef.schwarz_at_bt.com wrote:
> after searching docs and mailinglist I am not sure, if Coda heavily
> depends on a functioning /etc/hosts (or dns) infrastructure. I would
> prefer to use ip addresses instead, example given:
>
> venus-setup 172.16.1.1 20000
> instead of
> venus-setup host1.test1 20000

Don't care too much about venus-setup. It hardly does anything useful
since 6.0.0.

You can also just copy the /etc/coda/venus.conf.ex file to
/etc/coda/venus.conf and set the cachesize= configuration option.

The name you pass to venus setup is only used as the 'default' realm
option for commands like clog and cpasswd. Venus never uses it
internally.

The only thing will be that you will have to access your realms as
    'cd /coda/172.16.1.1/'

(or hack some symbolic name in /etc/coda/realms, but that's about the
same as adding the name to /etc/hosts).

> I fear, however, that's not possible, http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/misc/vice-db-servers.html
> [..]All of the stuff inside the codasrv process doesn't directly use ip-addresses, but uses the 'serverid'. [..]
>
> And all these files apparently use the hostname instead of the ip address:
> [root_at_redhat80 progs]# find /vice -exec grep -ln host1 {} \;
> /vice/db/servers

All names in this file are resolved during startup, you might actually
be able to get away with ip-addresses.

> /vice/db/scm

Used only by updateclnt/updatesrv and the related init script. This name
will be compared against the output of 'hostname' (or maybe the contents
of /vice/hostname). So this probably would have to be a name.

But for a single server you don't need the update daemons...

> /vice/db/VSGDB

Only used by createvol_rep to find out on which servers a replicated
volume should to be created.

> /vice/db/vicetab

Used only by the server I believe to discover which local partitions
will be used to store container files, the match is done by resolving
the 'name' and comparing the resulting ip-addresses. Again if the
resolver is any good you might be able to get away with an ip-address.

> /vice/misc/UpdateClntLog

Log file, i.e. a don't care.

> /vice/vol/remote/host1.list

Temporary file used by createvol_rep. Don't know if this is sensitive to
anything.

> /vice/vol/BigVolumeList

Collated version of all files in /vice/vol/remote. See previous
description.

> /vice/hostname

Could be used by the server to get it's own hostname and ip-address. Or
maybe not anymore, it could very well be some left over from the past.

> Is there a switch during setup to forget the hostnames and only rely
> on ip addresses?

Not really.