Coda File System

Re: practical limitations for file size/number in Coda

From: Lionix <lio_at_absium.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:19:48 +0100
Jan Harkes wrote:

>>What, may I ask, is the mode of failure when a directory exceeds 256KB?
>>

>I think some assertion triggers because not all of the code is ready to
>handle the cases where simple directory operations fail.
>
>Jan

Your intuition was quit right Jan.... As usual ! :o)

I could not prevent of testing, in order to understand rapidly the
trouble's origin if it happens, and prepare to it..
I put results here for diagnostic purpose, perhaps the best place, and
let the robots index the page !

I made a simple perl script to copy 3000 files and create 3000
directories in one on a replicated volume....

Here is the result of the crash-test :
======
 Venus
======
fatal error -- fsobj::dir_Create: (rep_ex_2716,
5086c488.7f000003.ffffffff.80b78) Create failed!
RecovTerminate: dirty shutdown (1 uncommitted transactions)
Assertion failed: 0, file "fso_dir.cc", line 96

=> Our directory trouble arrise !!!!

======
SrvErr
======
Create returns 27 on rep_ex_2716 1000003.12f1.1519
Assertion failed: 0, file "srvproc.cc", line 4193
EXITING! Bye!

So the realm _ gonna try to use the correct terminology instead of
cluster _  turn into crash...
As we could expect for a crash test !!!!! :o)

Coda restart without complaining, and the Volume wasn't unreadable !!!!!
SHA computing was a little bit long, but what a fu.... idea of stroring
so many things in one dir !!!

Lionix

Realm ( newbee ?) Administrator
Hundreds hours of work... but so powerfull !!!!

http://www.absium.com