Coda File System

Re: Disconnected HOME directories

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 17:21:35 -0500
Hello Jason,

> What kinds of problems will happen?  Will I lose all the offline changes
> that I have made?  Can I "save" the token for my user so that if I
> reboot and startup disconnected I can feed that "real" token (which may
> not have expired yet) to venus and have it be happy and then when

yes you can.

> reconnecting possibly get away without any problems or run into the "too
> old" token issue and then just clog and everything's happy?\

When your token is rejected you cannot do anything any longer,
but your previous local changes are preserved and will be reintegrated as
soon as you clog and get a valid token.

Answering the question in your next letter - no, you cannot use pam_kcoda
without setting up Kerberos. Using Kerberos in a transparent way was the
purpose of creating that module.

Unfortunately I am not aware of a suitable "plain coda authentication" pam
module. The old ones had some bugs and probably are too old to be used
with current setups anyway.

You may want to set up a Kerberos realm, it is not too hard.
Or just give users small local homedirs with startup files which run
clog and then reset HOME to point to somewhere on Coda.
It can work acceptably, on small installations.

Cheers,
--
Ivan