Coda File System

Re: Disconnected HOME directories

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:06:52 -0500
> Ivan Popov wrote:
> | Or just give users small local homedirs with startup files which run
> | clog and then reset HOME to point to somewhere on Coda.
> | It can work acceptably, on small installations.
>
> How well would that work logging in via xdm/kdm/gdm? or would they need
> to go to a virtual console, login/logout, and then login graphically?

You can work around by smart .xsession or alike which would start clog in
an xterm. When you play with HOME value, you can have to use explicit
XAUTHORITY environment variable, if your display manager does not set it.

Still I'd go for a Kerberos realm. It solves in any case the distributed
login authentication task, which you have to accomplish, whether you have
Coda or not.

Cheers,
--
Ivan