Coda File System

Re: Encryption

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:13:35 -0400
On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:32:53PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> I searched the list, but couldn't find an appropriate answer, at least not for
> current releases:
>
> If I use --enable-crypto at buildtime, what is encrypted then? Traffic,
> passwords, etc. !?

Nothing really. It just links Coda against libcrypto for the MD5 and
SHA1 digest algorithms. The main tree already has 'reference' C
implementations of these functions so there is no functional difference.
But libcrypto typically has an optimized assembly version, so using
those should be useful for performance reasons.

I might also have made the kerberos code (used as an alternative to the
Coda authentication) dependent on this option.