Coda File System

Re: Encryption

From: Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig_at_zt-consulting.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:05:15 +0200
On Monday, 05. April 2004 21:13, Jan Harkes wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 12:32:53PM +0200, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> > I searched the list, but couldn't find an appropriate answer, at least
> > not for current releases:
> >
> > If I use --enable-crypto at buildtime, what is encrypted then? Traffic,
> > passwords, etc. !?
>
> Nothing really. It just links Coda against libcrypto for the MD5 and
> SHA1 digest algorithms. The main tree already has 'reference' C
> implementations of these functions so there is no functional difference.
> But libcrypto typically has an optimized assembly version, so using
> those should be useful for performance reasons.

What about the passwords? How are they hashed? MD5?

> I might also have made the kerberos code (used as an alternative to the
> Coda authentication) dependent on this option.

Yes, I think you did - btw is there any active development done there? I
submitted a small hack to the BTS as I intend to use Coda in a
kerberos-environment and was not able to use the current code.

Are there any plans concerning the implementation of encryption?

Regards,
Michael