Coda File System

Re: Write-Disconnected Volume (was: Cache Overflow)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:29:02 -0400
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 10:03:38PM +0200, Johannes Martin wrote:
> as I can't get my client to write-reconnect my volume to the coda server,
> I'm thinking to take the following route:
> - cfs checkpointml /coda/my/volume
>   -> this seems to work fine and creates a tar file with all the
>      modified/new files (I assume?) in /var/lib/coda/...
> - transfer this tar file to another client and unpack it there
> - venus -init on the disconnected client

That should work.

> Will this approach work and make sure I won't lose any data? I understand
> I will have to do some manual conflict resolution if I modified any of the
> files that are in the tar file on some other client.

All the modified data should be in the tar file, ofcourse you would be
missing any remove/rename type operations which we cannot represent in a
tar archive. I'm not sure what you mean with dealing with conflicts. If
you unpack the tar and on either the reinitialized, or another client it
shouldn't see a conflict because those operations were never committed
on the server in the first place. If anything was changed in the mean
time, you would end up overwriting the changed data, there is no way
for the Coda client to know that the data from the archive is based on
some ancient version (N) of the file, so it assumes it is an update to
the current version (N+x) on the server.