Coda File System

Re: coda reintegration in write-disconnected mode

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 00:48:46 -0400
Niraj already answered question #1, here is #2,

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 10:50:44PM -0300, Juan Carlos Schroeder wrote:
> 2) I've read somewhere that Coda "replays" in the servers, the changes made
> in the client. Is this true? This means that it doesn't send the whole file
> every time it wants to reintegrate? (for example, every 1 or 2 minutes if
> I'm countinously making changes to the file)

2 things prevent this. First of all, updates are never sent back to the
server as long as the file is still held open by some writer. Second, we
perform optimizations on the reintegration log which eliminates
certains sequences of operations.

When a newly created file is removed before we reintegrate, we simply
don't have to send anything. Similar for stores, if a store is pending
but a new write comes in, the previously logged operation is optimized
away.