Coda File System

Re: changing passwords with cpasswd

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:08:54 -0400
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 08:22:33PM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
> I noticed that the only way to use cpasswd if your unix user name is not the
> name of a coda user that you have the password for, is to modify the USER
> environment variable before calling cpasswd.
>
> Is this what you want it to be like? Or will you accept a patch for an extra
> command-line option to provide the name of the user that is changing the
> password? I would then at the same time try to clarify the output of cpasswd
> to make people aware of the username that they are using to change a password.

No, it probably should work like 'clog', i.e. if the user specifies a
name, use that, otherwise use the result from getpwent or something.

This looks more like the code is trying to allow an administrator to
change the password of some other user, but for that we technically
already have the 'au' tool ('au cp'). I guess the current implementation
makes cpasswd look similar to passwd, but it clearly confuses local
identities with Coda identities.

I took the user_at_realm related code from clog and put it in cpasswd,
and committed the change to CVS.