Coda File System

64-bit-ifying

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:21:47 +0200
Hello,

just thinking aloud.

We should get rid of 32-bit constants/limitations everywhere in the
code (of course in the protocols, but not only).

I thought about populating a Coda realm database with user identities,
and this is no problem for any current setup, as we have about 2^31
numbers for uids, and as many for gids.

On the other side, if somebody would suddenly like to setup a Coda realm
with identities for all humans, it would be impossible.
It is even worse, if for some reason (there _can_ be some) one would
include host-identities as well.

No, Coda is not mature yet for 2G-users deployment, but some day it possibly
will be. That day it will be hard to change the limitations.

Just to put the task on the virtual "TODO" list...

Any 32-bit number will be too small tomorrow, even if not applied
to storage or speed.
With 64-bit we have probably several years to be relatively safe :)

Cheers,
--
Ivan