Coda File System

Re: rvm size...

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:04:24 +0100
Hello Jan,

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:38:23AM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > Of course, you can not have more than 1GB rvm yet. So if the numbers above
> > were right, you could never put more than 30 MB freebsd sources on
> > a Coda server.
> > It seems odd (corresponds to about 30 bytes average file length?).

> The checked-out freebsd ports collection contains many directories each
> with only a few small CVS and Makefiles. So the RVM overhead is pretty
> significant.

ok, I see, then it is the almost empty directories which create
the overhead. Curious how much data do you have which corresponds
to that pattern?

My expectation would be several hundred kilobytes at most?

And as soon you download and compile a port, it gets very
(more than 30 times ?) different average file size, I think.

In that sence the wording in vice-setup probably might be worth adjusting?

By the way, it is great that vice-setup is becoming user friendly. Thanks!

Best regards,
--
Ivan