Coda File System

Re: rvm size...

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 14:31:07 -0500
On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 06:04:24PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 11:38:23AM -0500, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > > Of course, you can not have more than 1GB rvm yet. So if the numbers above
> > > were right, you could never put more than 30 MB freebsd sources on
> > > a Coda server.
> > > It seems odd (corresponds to about 30 bytes average file length?).
>
> > The checked-out freebsd ports collection contains many directories each
> > with only a few small CVS and Makefiles. So the RVM overhead is pretty
> > significant.
>
> ok, I see, then it is the almost empty directories which create
> the overhead. Curious how much data do you have which corresponds
> to that pattern?
>
> My expectation would be several hundred kilobytes at most?

Your gut feeling about these RVM usage numbers was actually correct.
I made a mistake when writing down the values. It should have been
kilobytes of RVM instead of megabytes.

Here are the recalculated and corrected values,

    mp3 files     ~0.08MB RVM per GB.
    jpeg images   ~0.50MB RVM per GB.
    email folders ~37.8MB RVM per GB (maildir, 1 file per message)
    netbsd-pkgsrc  ~180MB RVM per GB (large tree but not much +data)