Coda File System

Re: General Coda Questions

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:14:38 -0500
On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:23:15AM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> But another question came up:
>
> WARNING: '/bla' needs 373 pages and won't fit in Coda

The internal format of Coda directories doesn't allow them to grow past
a total size of 256KB. A directory page is 2KB, and we have 128 pointers
to these pages. Although both of these constants can be changed, any
such change will require a rebuild and reinitialization of both the
clients and the servers before they can the new directory layout. And
even with all that effort, we just pushed the limit a little further
instead of actually solving the problem.

> - at first: Is there anything, I could do about that - or will anything be
> done about it?
> - what happens, if I try to move /bla into coda?

At some point during the copy, create will fail because there is not
enough room to add the new name entry to the directory.