Coda File System

Re: Coda-client-setup 0.5 released

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:32:32 +1030
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 08:59:25PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:

> What is the status of the Coda kernel module on NetBSD?
> How current/maintained is it?

I haven't tried it for a while now - I updated my main coda server to an
opteron machine and ran aground on the lp64 issues.  I was working my way
through those, there was a question about addressing a int vs *int storage
issue that I put to the list that never got answered.  I really do want
to get Coda running again - I miss it terribly.

> Would anybody with *BSD kernel knowledge or/and running Coda on *BSD
> comment on my observations?

When I did run it, it was rock solid for me but this was quite a while
ago.  From what I can see in the kernel sources, the kernel interface is
fairly current as it does know about realms.  I did have some patches that
fixed a problem with statfs that would cause venus to hang for about 10
minutes on start up _and_ provided a mount_coda so you could put the
coda file system in the fstab and it would get mounted at boot.

> I was delighted to run on a compact NetBSD installation, at the same time
> enjoying the full range of my favourite programs directly from Coda.
> Let us make it stable?

Yes, I want to do this.  I am a NetBSD developer so I can commit fixes
into the tree to make things better.

--
Brett Lymn