Coda File System

Re: Help with rvm_malloc's error -9

From: Gabriel B. <gabriel.barros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:24:54 -0300
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:41:47 +0100, Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:12:42PM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> > the /vicepa was about 5% of the 16M inodes and 10% of the 9GB (on top
> > of reiserfs). So, now i just created a new /vice/DATA with 1GB
> > (previously it had 130MB) and recreated the 20MB /vice/LOG
>
> That says it all.
>
> You need a lot of RVM for a lot of files.
>
> I usually use a very-really-too-approximate estimation of the reliable
> ratio
> being about 1G rvm per 1M files (which in general means one should not
> plan for more that 1 million files on a server).

Hum.. i will have a little more than 2M files now and about 2,5M soon
(soon = before we can set up a dedicated machine with proper
configuration)

Is there any way to have more than 1G rvm? Is it pratical to have 2
servers on the same machine? What impact does a rvm as large as 1G (or
more) have to server performace (daily usage, backups, crash,
startup)?

Also, what about the LOG? it's used just by the transactions right? if
i understood what i read from the docs, since i only work with small
files i should be more than safe with the 20M, right?

Thanks!
Gabriel