Coda File System

Re: Help with rvm_malloc's error -9

From: Gabriel B. <gabriel.barros_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:32:35 -0300
Hi Jan,
On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:14:20 -0500, Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:12:42PM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> > now, i was thinking that i was understanding most of the explanation
> > (btw, thanks! that was a huge insight on the rvm) but what messed my
> > head was the last comment about using several volumes... was it all
> > about the /vice/DATA? i thought you could only have one rvm log and
> > data. and several storage volumes.
> > On another machine i'm testing with 12 /vicepX of 3Gb each, and the
> > same data (wich is about 5GB of tiny 3~30KB each)
>
> I think you're mixing up volumes and partitions here. It doesn't matter
> whether you have a single /vicepX or 12 of them. I was talking about the
> volumes (as created with createvol_rep).

I think i expressed myself badly. I was already using one volume for
each 250k files. Now, with the 12 partitions, i was only setting each
volume to each partition... i was afraid the FTREE had some limits
over the volumes it hold.

> btw. if you are copying in an existing tree of data, give rvmsizer a
> try. It should be in either /usr/bin or /usr/sbin on the server and
> works like a df, but gives an estimate on how much RVM would be needed
> and whether there are any directories that might give you a problem.

Hum, i runned it today in /vicepa, after a night of filling one of the
big volumes (without errors this time)

1066 directories, 271316 files, 6385 directory pages
total file size        5990373849 bytes (5712.87MB)
average file size      22078 bytes
total directory size   8716348 bytes (8.31MB)
average directory size 8176 bytes
estimated RVM usage based on object counts, 48900776 bytes (46.64MB)
estimated RVM usage based on 4% rule,       239963607 bytes (228.85MB)

I already have seven more dirs as full as this one, each has it's own
volume on the same vicepa partition. if this will one eat 230MB of the
rmv, 230 * 7= 1610
So, i'd need 1.6GB?

Thanks,
Gabriel