Coda File System

Re: Problems mounting volumes

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:58:58 +0200
Hi John,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 09:10:19AM -0700, John Anderson wrote:
> vice-setup script choosing mostly default values.  The / volume that was
> created during this process is named after the hostname of the machine I
> was testing on (kickstart.hq.local).  I PXE booted a client machine, and
> from the shell ran venus-setup and venus-init.   I then cd'ed into /coda
> and saw another directory kickstart.hq.local, so I cd'ed into that one
> and created some files which showed up on other PXE clients.  I guessed
> it was working.  However I was under the impression that the /
> filesystem volume would mount on /coda/ in the client's filesystems
> instead of /coda/servername as it seems to work.  Is this correct usage
> or did I screw something up?

the root volume of a realm is accessible as
/coda/realm.name/
which makes it possible to use Coda globally.

You may have read a really old documentation, before realms were supported.

> My next question has more to do with best practices.  I'll be mounting
> coda volumes that would usually be located under /usr/lib/per5,
> /var/www/, /etc/httpd, etc.  Can Coda mount volumes using these types of
> directories as mountpoints, or is it a better idea (maybe the only

Coda mountpoints can exist only on Coda.

> idea?) to mount the necessary volumes under /coda/servername, and
> symlink them out the appropriate areas?

You can use symlinks.

Now, about a "diskless setups". You do not want to be really diskless,
as Coda needs place to cache the files. As you supposedly have more files
than RAM, you definitely need place on a local disk.
I assume it is how you set up your machines, but better safe than sorry,
so I say it.

Cheers,
--
Ivan