Coda File System

Re: Problems mounting volumes

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:40:24 -0400
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:23:53PM -0700, John Anderson wrote:
> >Now, about a "diskless setups". You do not want to be really diskless,
> >as Coda needs place to cache the files. As you supposedly have more files
> >than RAM, you definitely need place on a local disk.
> >I assume it is how you set up your machines, but better safe than sorry,
> >so I say it.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >--
> >Ivan
>
> Does venus have any known problems caching on ramdisk  I plan on using
> machines with no disks and 6GB of RAM with a ramdisk of 4GB for the base OS
> (currently 140MB) and the cached content.  So the venus.cache should exist
> on on /dev/ram0 mounted on /.  If everthing goes to plan....which it seldom
> does.

No problems, we used Coda on an iPaq and actually used ramfs/tmpfs to
avoid overwriting the flash memory too often.

The advantages of ramfs are that it isn't fixed size, your ramdisk only
leaves you with 2GB for page/buffer/swap caches and application memory.
Ramfs is really nothing more than pinned pagecache pages, applications
are essentially already paged in. With a ramdisk they use up memory both
on the ramdisk as well as the pagecache.