Coda File System

64-bit Coda status

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:15:54 -0500
The 64-bit cleanups are starting to look pretty good.

I've been able to work with my email (mostly reading files and
directories, some renames). Also pretty much all patches that were
needed for the server were committed to the git repository in /coda from
the 64-bit client.

There were 2 main problems with the servers, one was an alignment issue
when unpacking the reintegration logs. The other was a bug that really
has been around for years, it just was hidden on a 32-bit system. During
a rename we marked the renamed object as 'directory data modified', even
when it is a file. Because of a 'lucky' alignment between two structures
within a union the bad flag got overwritten when the rename completed.
On the 64-bit server we didn't and killed some random container file.

With those two bugs fixed I successfully extracted lwp/rpc2/rvm/coda
tarballs, configured and built them from a 64-bit client with the volume
on a 64-bit server.

If anyone is interested in trying it now, all necessary changes have
been pushed from git to cvs. If I don't get too much negative feedback
we'll probably roll out Coda-6.9.1 early next week.