Coda File System

Re: Problems with replication on two servers.

From: <u+codalist-wk5r_at_chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 11:44:17 +0200
Hello Marc,

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:59:51PM +0200, Marc SCHLINGER wrote:
> Let's take the assumption, we work in multi-site environnement.
> For different reason we don't want any stream from our users to go by our
> vpn, (dedicated inter-site line 99% of avaibility).
> So each site handles his coda server (one handle the scm).

This is apparently unsupported (it may work,
we are using geographically distant servers in a couple of realms,
but the network between the servers may not be flaky no matter what)

> Some users because they move a lot between each site use a laptop and have
> their volume replicated.
>
> Once their are in a site they can only join the server of this site.

You are thinking in an "inappropriate" way. Clients interact with _realms_,
and internally pick servers to talk to. There is no user interface
to those internals and it is not supposed to be present.

> Can coda handle this scheme? Are the volumes the only things that can move
> around? Or can
> a client move from one server to another?

A client will talk to some server(s) of the realm depending on what it thinks
of network bandwidth and of the servers' availability. That's it.
It will move "from server to server" when it feels for doing that,
it is totally Coda's internal business.

This is not as bad as it may seem, most often the clients pick the "nearest"
server, but you do not have any guarantee that they do so each time,
they don't.

> Thanks a lot.

Hope this helps to see what one may expect and what one shouldn't expect
from Coda.

Best regards,
Rune