Coda File System

Re: Problems with replication on two servers.

From: Marc SCHLINGER <marc.schlinger_at_agorabox.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 15:13:57 +0200
Hello,

> Hello Marc,
>
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:59:51PM +0200, Marc SCHLINGER wrote:
>
>> Let's take the assumption, we work in multi-site environnement.
>> For different reason we don't want any stream from our users to go by our
>> vpn, (dedicated inter-site line 99% of avaibility).
>> So each site handles his coda server (one handle the scm).
>>

> This is apparently unsupported (it may work,
> we are using geographically distant servers in a couple of realms,
> but the network between the servers may not be flaky no matter what)
>

>> Some users because they move a lot between each site use a laptop and have
>> their volume replicated.
>>
>> Once their are in a site they can only join the server of this site.
>>

> You are thinking in an "inappropriate" way. Clients interact with _realms_,
> and internally pick servers to talk to. There is no user interface
> to those internals and it is not supposed to be present.
>

>> Can coda handle this scheme? Are the volumes the only things that can move
>> around? Or can
>> a client move from one server to another?
>>

> A client will talk to some server(s) of the realm depending on what it thinks
> of network bandwidth and of the servers' availability. That's it.
> It will move "from server to server" when it feels for doing that,
> it is totally Coda's internal business.
>
> This is not as bad as it may seem, most often the clients pick the "nearest"
> server, but you do not have any guarantee that they do so each time,
> they don't.
>

>> Thanks a lot.
>>

> Hope this helps to see what one may expect and what one shouldn't expect
> from Coda.

Here I may have not fully understand what Rune told me.
I've done a couple of test, and I 've found out different information in
the documentation, but all seems to collide.

Given that we have two servers,
Can a client modify a volume, send the information to one server he can
join, and have the server keeps the differents replicas of this volume
up-to-date, whithout the client connecting to or warning the 2nd server?

Sorry, if I'm insistent but I not fully at ease with english.

Thanks.
Marc