Coda File System

Re: Re (and a patch) : Coda git repository available

From: <u-myfx_at_aetey.se>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 09:56:08 +0200
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 09:34:45PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> I am busy trying to get binary builds working again.

>     - build lwp library as deb and rpm packages for 32 and 64 bit.
>       (really should build separate versions for each stable and lts
>        distribution wheezy, jessie, trusty, wily, xenial, fc-22, fc-23,
>        rhel-6, rhel-7, but that is 18 different combinations and it
>        doesn't cover freebsd/netbsd and such for which I don't even have
>        build VMs set up)

Why not build a single binary Coda client package which works on all
reasonable distros (including all large ones besides rhel, who for an
inexplicable reason omits the Coda kernel module)?

This would save a lot of effort.

Did you check the Aetey installer?

 http://www.aetey.se/dl/cocli-2.1-6.9.5+20140810-linux-ia32-1.bin
  (1.5MB and installs literally in a couple of seconds)

It is all open source of course:

 http://www.aetey.se/dl/cocli-2.1-6.9.5+20140810-linux-ia32-1.src.tar

(or see the corresponding s/ia32/x86_64/ versions)

Even doing a sligtly adapted variations for different distros
would be a lot less pain than yours now, because the client does not
have _any_ dependencies on the distro, besides the "rc interface" to be
started on boot.

>     - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
>     - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push lwp into private repos.
>     - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - discover a problem with how rpc2 or lwp was built or packaged, go
>       back to the beginning.

>     - rebuild tarballs for lwp, rpc2, rvm, coda.
>     - build lwp library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push lwp into private repos.
>     - build rpc2 library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push rpc2 into private repos.
>     - build rvm library for debian/ubuntu/fedora/rhel.
>     - push rvm into private repos.
>     - discover that I somehow managed to not install the right lwp
>       library on the build host so I have to rebuild rpc2 and rvm and
>       push new versions.

This kind of effort is not necessary, honestly.

My 1 cent...

Rune