Coda File System

Re: liblwp

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:43:20 -0500
On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 03:32:53PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   liblwp must have not been compiled on Solaris before the release.  I
> recently added changes to make it compile and work (static only) on
> Solaris.  I think we need a new release real soon.  There were also
> several changes to the main line coda sources that got coda compiling
> on Solaris there again.  I'm not sure if the current 5.3.4 will even
> compile on Solaris.

Great, if lwp is now working for you I will release a new source tar.
None of the prebuilt binaries are affected as it is a build problems.

>   I'm not sure what the "release" mechanism is for coda now.  It might
> be nice for those who are developers to know about an impending release
> so we can make sure they work (as best as possible) on all platforms.
> On 5.3.4, all I heard about it was the announcement.

A release is currently nothing more than a snapshot of the current
development tree. The lwp change got committed to the CVS tree in early
december. The code had not seen any important changes, and was for the
most part an almost identical copy of the coda/lib-src/mlwp tree, I
simply assumed it was stable and usable on all platforms by now.

I could try to sync a `release' with others, possibly announce on the
codadev list that I'll freeze/snapshot the tree in a couple of days or
something.

>   Also, I think the standard build for NetBSD should now be for 1.4
> rather than 1.3.

The facilitized machine used for building has 1.3 and I'm not sure
whether facilities has got a NetBSD 1.4 based setup with AFS etc. But
you're right that 1.3 is a bit dated by now. Bob used to do the compiles
for NetBSD and FreeBSD-current on his machines at home.