Coda File System

Re: is it implemented?

From: J.A. Harkes <Jan.Harkes_at_cwi.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 10:51:27 +0200
Brian Bartholomew wrote:
  > > As long as Coda provides something like the "@sys" in AFS
symlinks,
  > > that solves half the problem.
  >
  > > it does transparently replicate volumes to multiple servers
  >
  > Between those two features it solves the whole problem.  Although I
  > would be happier to remove the symlinks and do the @sys
functionality
  > at mount time.  Symlinks mean pwd still doesn't do what users
expect.

If you mean something like having a coda-volume for each architecture,
and mounting that into the coda-tree with a command such as:

  # example, this is NOT currently implemented.

  % cfs mkmount /coda/bin bin-_at_sys

Where @sys is `filled in' by the client's architecture description. Then
I completely agree, that would IMHO be the Coda-esque way.

But, Coda would need reliable support for mounting the same volume at
multiple locations. This is necessary for an administrator to reach the
different architecture specific volumes through architecture independent
mounts.

e.g.
  % cfs mkmount /coda/mach-i386/bin  bin-mach-i386
  % cfs mkmount /coda/linux-i386/bin bin-linux-i386

Sorry about the rambling, just wanted to say `me too' in a more verbose
fashion :)

l8r,
	Jan Harkes