Coda File System

Re: rdsinit death

From: Tom Tarka <tommy_at_mp3.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:07:23 -0800
Jan Harkes wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 11:39:44PM -0800, Tom Tarka wrote:
> > I did this and didn't see anything too out of place.  It didn't look
> > like I was running out of memory, and with 505M swap and coda not
> > started up (therefore not taking up any memory), this shouldn't be an
> > issue, right?  But the fact that I could get it to initialize a 130M
> > Data partition, but not 200M or 315M sure does sound like a memory
> > issue though, doesn't it?
>
> It could be that there is not a big enough chunk of memory available in
> the memory map around the address that we try to mmap the data segment.
>
> Try to figure out where shared libraries and such are mapped. I believe
> we use 0x20000000 as the base address for RVM data, and it sounds like
> something else could be in your memory map about 150MB above this point
> (around 0x25000000). On linux, /proc/<pid>/maps should give all the info
> about which addresses are already used up.

well, for the codasrv process, it looks like 0x20000000-0x27100000 is taken

(for my Data size of 130M) and then a whole bunch of other stuff starts in
the
0x2aabxxxx range, so it would look as though that's where the overlap is
happening.

Does this mean I have to pick a custom range for my RVM Data mapping, and
if so, how should I go about this?  The same way that was mentioned
a week or so ago when discussing setting up RVM for a 42 Gig server,
with a start address of 0x41000000 (checking, of course that this is free
by checking  /proc/{pid}/maps)?

thanks,