Coda File System

creating root volume (was Re: kerberos and coda problems)

From: Chris Jantzen <chris_at_maybe.net>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 17:58:12 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 9 May 2000, Jan Harkes wrote:

> > volumes. It seems my VLDB is not being created correctly? I ran the bld
> > script and nothing seems to happen. This is all fresh from 5.3.7. Here's
> > some interesting log snippets from /vice/db/SrvLog
> > 16:19:59 VGetPartition Couldn't find partition /export/primary/vicepa/
>
> That is the interesting message.
>
> > The 'partition' listed is what I put into vice-setup and is listed in
> > vicetab as:
> >
> > ace   /export/primary/vicepa   ftree   width=32,depth=4
>
> This partitions is matched up with the server by testing whether
> gethostbyname("ace") returns the same ip as gethostbyname(hostname()).
>
> Do you have multiple ip-addresses, or does `hostname` return something
> strange like localhost.localdomain, or is your hostname listed in
> /etc/hosts as belonging to 127.0.0.1?
>  (very common on RedHat installations),

Well, here's a typescript:

Script started on Tue May  9 17:41:14 2000
[root_at_ace /vice]# host ace
ace.maybe.net has address 10.1.0.3
[root_at_ace /vice]# host ace.maybe.net
ace.maybe.net has address 10.1.0.3
[root_at_ace /vice]# host 10.1.0.3
3.0.1.10.IN-ADDR.ARPA domain name pointer ace.maybe.net
[root_at_ace /vice]# exit
exit

Script done on Tue May  9 17:41:29 2000

hostname returns "ace.maybe.net" also, btw. /etc/hosts only has 127.0.0.1
with localhost and localhost.localdomain and ace.maybe.net is defined for
10.1.0.3 "properly".

--
chris kb7rnl =->