Coda File System

RE: Saw youre posting on the coda site about a web farm

From: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard_at_ghs.fr>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:52:41 +0200
I post this message back to the list, because someone may have more
interesting answers than me...

First of all, my setup is not yet completed... So you're more advanced than
me.
Second, I plan to install Postgres too, but don't really know how to handle
it.
Third, I'll only use Coda for mostly-read file systems (no POP/SMTP). Here,
I consider FTP as a mostly read service, because there will be very low
writing traffic, without any contention (onefile is uploaded to one server,
I don't care which one, and the same file will never be uploaded once more
on another server - I cross finger, but the application is done like that),
and I hope Coda will handle it gently.

Raid : the Coda servers need to have a Raid array for storing files. Raid
is not expensive and will reduce problems, ie. : don't rely only on Coda to
solve every problem.

Postgres : I think one can't store the Postgres DB on a Coda FS. This won't
help in any way, because only one instance of Postgres can use a DB
directory (most data will be stored in memory, shared between Postgres
processes serving the same DB instance). I plan to use a
Raid-over-the-network filesystem to store Postgres DBs. This way, I will
have a plain usable DB on another machine, if the Postgres instance holding
the files stopped gently. The residing problem will be to stop Postgres
gently, even if the whole machine crashes... That's a thread to submit to a
Postgres mailing-list. How did you solve this ?

Nicolas Huillard