Coda File System

Re: RPC2_init failed on cygwin

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:03:49 -0400
On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 01:17:44AM -0500, Fasihullah Askiri wrote:
> Thanx for the reply...
> I dont think that cygwin puts the root restriction...
> More for the reason that portmap listens perfectly fine on 369/udp

That's what I thought.

> RPC is not installed... The error was from
> "/coda/project/releases/sources/coda-5.2.4/coda-src/rpc2/rpc2b.c"
> which i think is supposed to create the sockets for the rpc translation by
> the portmapper...

The old cygwin binary you are trying to run has a statically linked rpc2
library, otherwise you wouldn't even see the name of the rpc2 source
file where the error is originating.

That part of the code also has nothing to do with portmapper. The only 2
applications that use rpc2portmap are updateclnt and updatesrv.
The update server binds to a random port instead of a specific one and
the client process uses the portmapper to discover which port the server
was bound to.

You are correct that that part of the code is responsible for creating
the UDP listen socket, but auth2 should simply be passing INADDR_ANY as
the listen address and port 370/udp as the port. There is no reason for
that to fail as long as if there isn't something already bound to that
port.